By Marc Kelly Smith with Joe Kraynak
Take the Mic is an essential guide for lifting your poetry from the page to the stage. In this book, Slampapi Marc Kelly Smith serves as your personal trainer and coach, showing you how to craft stage-worthy verse and deliver a poetry performance that shakes the rafters and sparks thunderous applause. In Take the Mic, you discover how to…
- Pen poetry that’s conducive to on-stage performance
- Overcome stage fright
- Practice powerful performance techniques
- Rehearse like a pro
- Shape a loose collection of poems into a killer set
- Connect with your audience — heart and soul
- Master the art of self-promotion
- Schedule your own slam poetry tour
- Transform your hobby into paying gigs
- Act professional to establish a solid reputation in the Slam community
Take the Mic is packed with practical exercises you can do alone or in class to hone your skills and transform your body, mind, voice, verse, and spirit into an engaging stage presence.
You’ll also find a brief history of slam, the rules and regulations that govern official slam competitions, and a list of PSI (Poetry Slam, Inc.) Certified Slams, so no matter where you are, you always have a place to Take the Mic!